PE and Sport Premium
Primary school PE and school sport: new funding
The PE funding is used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision within the school. This year the funding has doubled this year to £16,000 plus £10 per pupil from Year 1 to year 6. So our school, this year, has been allocated £17,700. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
The evidence for physical activity and keeping active is overwhelming. An active lifestyle in and outside of school has a great impact on children’s wellbeing, productivity, stress levels, energy levels, obesity, brain activity, brain health and children’s moods.
The new Childhood Obesity: A plan for action policy (August 2016) states that the daily recommendation of physical activity for children aged 5-11 is 60 minutes per day. Schools are responsible for 30 minutes of this exercise, the other 30 minutes should be done at home.
How will we be spending the PE and Sport funding and who will it benefit?
At St Andrews we are investing £3000 of our funding to affiliate to the North East Derbyshire School Sport Partnership (NED SSP). The NED SSSP is passionate about improving the lives of young people, by providing opportunities through Physical Education and Sport.
NED SSP will provide a core package to support the school in;
- Continuous professional development signposting and support
- Inclusion training and support
- PE and School Sport Audit
- Level 1 School Games (intra-school) support
- Access to Level 2 School Games calendar appropriate for age group (inter-school – cluster / district)
- Access to Level 3 School Games events (qualification only)
- Membership of the Derbyshire School Sports Association
Leadership & Volunteering
- Mini Leader programme - training / mentoring (Year 5 only)
- Bronze Young Ambassador programme (Y5 only)
- School Sport Organising Crew development (primary / junior)
Club & Community Links
- Signposting to local clubs through competition programme
- Sport specific curriculum support.
Talent Identification & Development
- Shooting Stars talent programme (Y5-6 only) to include parent workshops, elite performance trip, easter academy and summer residential.
- Signposting and opportunities to join local squads including football and athletics.
- Midday Supervisor training
- Active lunchtime programme
- Bikeability programme (Y5&6)
- Early Rider Infant cycling programme (infant only)
- Change 4 Life Sports Club programme.
- Support for schools to achieve School Games Kitemark for PE and Sport
- Cluster and Individual School development through a PE and School Sport audit
- Sharing of good practice through regular PE Coordinator/Headteacher meetings at cluster and SSP level
- School Sport Partnership Conference (KS1 event)
- For more information please visit the partnership website www.nedssp.co.uk
Our school has completed an audit of PE, school sport and physical activity to inform how to effectively maximise the impact of the sport premium funding. Therefore, in addition to our affiliation to the NED SSP, we have allocated the following:
- Lead Practitioner support £600 – NED SSP Lead Practitioners are supporting our staff to develop their confidence and competence to deliver high quality physical education advice on evaluating strengths and weaknesses in PE and suggest areas for improvement. As well as having an impact on staff confidence, it is also having an impact on pupil attainment.
- Subject leader CPD £600 attendance at NEDSSP development days 3 x a year.
- Lunchtime adult play leaders £2400 to enable all pupils to have the opportunity to be active at lunchtime and participate in organised activities.
- Training through coaching £2500 employing specialist coaches to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge
- Transport to and from events/venues £600 to enhance experiences and further develop skills.
- Securing time for the subject leader to undertake reviews and construct development plans
- Purchase specialist equipment to enhance the PE curriculum and REAL PE scheme £1500
To see a more detailed action plan and proposed expenditure please click here.